Dear Youth Boy’s Lacrosse Families,
Wilton Youth Lacrosse is one of the oldest youth lacrosse organizations in Connecticut, with a proud tradition of developing terrific kids into great lacrosse players. The Wilton Lacrosse Association (WLA) takes tremendous pride in offering a development structure with programming that will allow our players to advance in their knowledge base and skill progression beginning in Kindergarten up thru 8th grade.
We do this by offering a curriculum that welcomes players of all skill levels through clinics and intramural game play, and is complimented by a light out of town game schedule with our balanced 3rd and 4th grade teams, and a competitive Travel program in 5th thru 8th grade.
Part of what we do every year is to evaluate our own curriculum, review CONNY’s recommended grade formats, educate ourselves with regard to the US Lacrosse Development Model, and evolve our programming to provide the best possible opportunities for Wilton Youth Lacrosse players as they progress through the program.
For those new to the program, or for those with children aging up into different grade based programming, here is our structure for 2017:
- K/1 Grade – Weekly clinic focusing on very basic fundamentals, culminating in a year-end jamboree
- 2nd Grade – Twice a week clinics focusing on fundamentals and introductory game play, occasional ‘play days’ vs local towns, year-end jamboree
- 3rd and 4th Grade Intramural/Travel – Balanced teams by grade, jamboree opportunities, CONNY game schedule
- 5th through 8th Grade Travel – A and B Level Travel Teams (pending enrollment), jamboree opportunities, CONNY game schedule
We are also excited to announce a new practice component for our Travel Teams (Grades 3-8), that was derived from the US Lacrosse development recommendation of shorter fields, 7v7 lacrosse play at the youth level. The shorter fields and smaller teams allow for more ball movement, more touches, faster paced game play, and quicker decision making. This new practice program is called the "Wilton Academy Lacrosse League" or WALL
- WALL is the new name of the once a week fixed practice program for Wilton youth boys grades 3-8
- WALL is a weekly, fast paced, stick skills driven practice followed by a competitive league game schedule
- 45 minute clinic, followed by 1 game each week – appr. 90 minute total session
- WALL teams will of consist of small, balanced teams of approximately 12 players, and will be run by a combination of parent coaches, high school players, travel coaches, our program director and others
- WALL is a component of our Travel Program’s weekly practice schedule and attendance is mandatory, missed WALL sessions will have an effect on Travel playing time
- WALL league play will feature 2 grade divisions - 3/4th grades combined, 5/6th grades combined
- 7/8th graders will also have components of the WALL curriculum as part of their weekly practice schedule, but the focus at this grade level will be solely on advanced skills, with no league element
- 8th graders will also participate as team leaders/coaches/referees within our 3/4th grade WALL division to give back to the program and to inspire younger players
- WALL games will be on short-fields in a 7 versus 7 format, with players playing all positions on the field (including goalie)
- WALL will have a fixed schedule and all travel games/practices will be scheduled around it
- 3/4th Grade on Saturday Mornings
- 5/6th Grades on Friday Evenings
- 7/8th Grade on Friday Evenings, with 8th Grade players rotating on Saturday mornings to help with 3/4th Grade WALL
We are very excited about the future of Wilton Youth Boys Lacrosse and believe that our evolving curriculum structure will allow for tremendous growth for our players over the course of their time in the program.
The future is bright for Wilton Lacrosse! Go Warriors!
FOR A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THE ABOVE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE